Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The best laid plans

When I woke up on Monday morning, I had exciting plans for the day. It went something like this:

Breakfast, get everybody ready for the day. Send Andrew off to paint a little shed at his sister Anna's. Take Keagan to preschool then come home and start making curtains for the nursery. Pick up Keagan from Preschool. Andrew gets home. Have lunch and then Andrew and I were going to finish the curtains and make the diaper stacker for the nursery while the boys napped.

I was pretty excited about having a lot of time to work on my projects. Unfortunately, this is not what happened. The day started out as I had planned but it all changed soon after breakfast. We were all upstairs getting the boys dressed upstairs. I took Deker to the bathroom to do his hair. This is when it all went wayward from there.

When Deker stepped down off the stool, he fell and hit his chin on the little brown stool. When I picked him up, I noticed that the bottom of his chin was bleeding. I grabbed a couple of kleenex and then told Andrew to get me a wet washcloth. After we got Deker calmed down a little bit, Andrew looked at the cut. It was about an 1 - 1 1/2 inches wide and it looked pretty deep. So, Andrew (notice that I am not the one looking that closely at it) decided that we better get it looked at because he might be stitches.

I then start by calling our family doctor to see if they would be able to see him or if we should take him to the ER or a minor emergency place. Thank goodness our Doctors office told us to go ahead and bring him in and they will squeeze him in. So we dropped Keagan off at Preschool early (he is in a co-op preschool where all the mom's take turns teaching) and we headed down to our doctors office.

By the time we left the house, the cut had pretty much stopped bleeding and when the doctor looked at it, he decided that he would put some sterry strips on it with a little glue to hold them in place. He figured this would be much less painful and traumatic than giving him stitches (I was much relieved because I was not looking forward to Andrew and I having to hold him down). So, the doctor put the sterry strips on with a bandaid over it to protect it and sent us on our way.

The next morning when I got Deker up, the bandaid and the sterry strips had already come off. Thank goodness the cut hadn't opened back up. So I made another call to our doctors office and they said to keep it covered with a bandaid and we could even put some small bandaids over it like they did the sterry strips and then another one over that. So I put a bandaid on and then Tuesday night, Andrew put some tape and and bandiad on again. I was very relieved to see the bandaid and the tape we made into sterry strips still on his chin this morning. Now hopefully it will all stay on until Andrew gets home tomorrow afternoon.

Monday night I tried to get a picture of the big bandaid on Deker's chin. Here are two pictures I got. Keagan also wanted his picture taken and it was a pretty cute one, so I thought I would put that picture on as well.


Vera said...

Boys will be boys!!! Just glad it is not any worse than it is!

easterngrl said...

Boys sound like they are full of accidents. My mom said she was grateful to live across the street from her pediatrician when my brothers were little or else someone might have accused her of child abuse.

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Now our boys will have nice facial scars for when they are older to show off with. Thank goodness it end needing stitches though.

Veronica Haley said...

ooh, ouch! sam has a scar on foreehead from when she had to get stiches because she triped in preschool.

Dangela said...

Your boys are so cute! I am glad Decker's chin is okay. He will look very "manly"!